[sdiy] PCB Panels

Jason Nanna jasonnanna at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 11:26:49 CEST 2018

I've found a very time-intensive workflow to go from inkscape -> PDF
-> 2400 dpi 1-bit PNG (via ghostscript) -> kicad footprint import for
doing this.  I've gotten excellent looking results but the process is
slow.   Only image I could find online of my designs is here, in the
upper left:

https://reverb-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/_0019_Assorted_Rig_q5mh19.jpg

I noticed variations in board materials from prototype run to
prototype run - unfortunately a new run of boards included some sort
of UV blocking material in the PCB substrate and badly attenuated the
blue light and made the RGB "window" look terrible.  Things that have
helped:

choosing to run the PCB as an "IPC class 3" will increase cost but
will improve registration
asking the board house to hand-silkscreen the boards may increase the
silkscreen ink density/quality

We used PCBCart and have had great results.

I'm currently looking into using PCBModE instead to generate gerbers
for production.  This to me holds the best potential to be