[sdiy] PCB Panels

bloke@blokezero.com bloke at blokezero.com
Wed Oct 10 11:04:12 CEST 2018

I know illustrator will export in DXF which might help

From: rsdio at audiobanshee.com <rsdio at audiobanshee.com>
Reply: rsdio at audiobanshee.com <rsdio at audiobanshee.com>
Date: 10 October 2018 at 09:17:40
To: SDIY <synth-diy at synth-diy.org>
Subject:  Re: [sdiy] PCB Panels

The best results come from vector art, not bitmap.

I don’t actually know how to export from Illustrator to a vector format that Eagle can import, but I assume that there are a few options to do this.

Rather than use Illustrator (which is a fine tool), I actually build my graphics using the curves, lines, and other shapes that are available directly in Eagle.

This technique solves two problems at once: Vector drawings are perfectly smooth at every resolution, and you won’t run up against the maximum number of entities because you can cover so much ground with simple tools.

Admittedly, it’s not always possible to create an image using vector drawing primitives. I think that Illustrator has some tracing features, but that gets back to the question of how to export Illustrator artwork in a vector format that Eagle can import. If anyone has experience here, I’d be curious to learn (of course, next time I have Illustrator art, I’ll surely search the Eagle support pages because it seems like there should be an answer there).

Brian Willoughby