[sdiy] Polymoog resonator question

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sat Oct 6 20:31:46 CEST 2018

Thanks for publishing your findings, David.

I was about to ask whether it might be better to design a single module with an SVF, so that folks could chain a triple, quadruple, or whatever they like.

It’s somewhat limiting that the Polymoog resonator has bands that don’t overlap, forcing users to work within the three, pre-determined bands. In addition, the LP/BP/HP switch (and hidden BP with inverted phase) forces all three resonators to the same mode, rather than allowing independent selection.

I suppose that the limited range allows more precision through finer control of frequency with the same slider travel. I assume that the shared LP/BP/HP switch is more likely due to limited panel space and the cost of additional switches that might rarely be used.

In light of what you’re describing, three independent SVF modules would perform vastly differently than the Moog version.

I released an AudioUnit plugin that implements a triple resonator, but it does not mimic the gain disparity between bands (and it certainly doesn’t model clipping or other distortion). It might be interesting to add those features and see what sorts of different sounds it leads to.

Brian Willoughby