[sdiy] Polymoog resonator question

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Sat Oct 6 14:51:43 CEST 2018

On Sat, 6 Oct 2018, Stephan Vladimir Bugaj wrote:
> But in my previous software engineering life I was on many forums over
> many decades — from old IRC channels to Stack Overflow and everything in
> between — and folks on those forums answered questions that might help
> with someone’s commercial projects without issue, because they know that
> answering a few questions is paid back by having your own questions
> answered.
>
> Why would that be different here?

I don't know the reason, but it does seem to be a very common opinion in
our community that it's somehow *immoral* to make a profit building
synthesizers.  Those who haven't tried also seem to have an inflated idea
of to what extent it's *possible* to make a profit building synthesizers.
Maybe this is just an aspect of the general popular view that "ideas" have
significant value in comparison to the work of implementing them.

I think the more interesting moral question is whether we ought to answer
people's school homework.  It's not clear whether that's really doing
them a favour.

--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before tribes.