[sdiy] 74LVC characteristics

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Thu Oct 25 12:56:34 CEST 2018

They have more output drive capacity than HC, similar to AC with that
respect. And they are faster, with very steep edges so watch out your EMC.
As with any CMOS logic, you can use that with just resistor at input and
use internal ESD protection diodes as clamping voltages outside power
rails. I'm not saying it's good practice, but works most of the time.

And here's the tricky part - various manufacturers make LVC series for
maximum power supply of 3.6V or something, while others offer the same
part for 5.5V supply. So check datasheet before purchase.

I use exactly this part (74LVC2G14GW-Q100H) in one of my products as
clock/data receivers/shapers/buffers, working at 2.5V. Being just 2-gate
device makes PCB layout much cleaner.

Roman