[sdiy] Polymoog resonator question

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Fri Oct 12 10:50:07 CEST 2018

> On 11 Oct 2018, at 18:31, Rutger Vlek <rutgervlek at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> That video is also my sole reason for wanting a resonator. I'd actually hope for the resonator to also be able to track keyboard moderately well to (optionally) maintain a fixed interval between notes played and resonant frequencies.

That’s possibly useful, but missing the point of a resonator, I’d say. The idea is that we’re modelling the resonances of a instrument body in some way, and those are fixed for a given instrument. That’s a key part of what gives one instrument a different character from another.

> My suspicion is that Elhardt identified a very small number of sweet spots that are very well tuned to the input signal as well as to the reverb on top. I believe it's only partly thanks to the resonator, but also thanks to his craftsmanship (or many hours of exploration) that he can make it sound this good.

Certainly his playing is a big part of the success of that video. He takes a “trumpet-like” sound, but then does a very good job of playing it like a trumpet. If you’d done the “Jump” chords (for example) instead, it wouldn’t have sounded half as good.

Tom