[sdiy] universal drum machine interface

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Tue Nov 6 05:06:56 CET 2018

On Nov 5, 2018, at 10:58 AM, Ingo Debus <igg.debus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Am 04.11.2018 um 22:35 schrieb rsdio at audiobanshee.com:
>>
>> Circuit bending can be dangerous if done without the research to back it up.
>
> But with research it’s no longer circuit bending, no?
> ;-)

Quite true.

I once interviewed a local musician who was fond of circuit bending, and asked what parts of the little Casio synths made interesting sounds when he was poking about. After finding out what was happening, I came up with a way to wire in to the synth and use a pedal to gradually increase the amount of “bending” such that all the way down was unmodified, and all the way up would be “maximal bending.”

I never did build that pedal or create the control circuit that would allow gradual bending. However, I thought it might be interesting to combine the out-of-the-box thinking during the research phase, and then review everything with an eye for understanding how the circuit works, followed by custom-designing a controller that could bend a cheap little Casio to make crazy sounds.

The disadvantage of most circuit bending techniques is that they all-too-frequently destroy the synth. My friend was convinced that cheap Casio synths were fine to sacrifice.

Brian