[sdiy] Filtering for chromatic scale frequencies?

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Thu May 31 13:52:33 CEST 2018

You can do this with a bunch of high-Q filters, and it does sort of
work, but only a little bit.

The problem is this...  Musical tones are far more complex than just
single frequencies.  So you won't have much success with just 128 narrow
band-pass filters tuned to each of the fundamental frequencies of MIDI
notes in the chromatic scale.

Real musical tones _usually_ consist of a series of partials that are
"more or less" harmonic.  (Instruments like bells and pianos are less
harmonic that strings or brass.)  So in order to pass a Middle-C trumpet
tone you'd need a bunch of narrow bandpass filters tuned to 261.6Hz and
all of it's harmonics that you consider to be essential to preserve the
tone.  And that's just for a single pitch.  And the higher partials of
something like a piano note might start to wander outside the passband
of some of the higher harmonic filters!

Musical notes also tend to contain important transients like chiffs of
breath, or plucks or strikes of strings, etc.  These transients contain
additional frequencies that are not harmonically related to the
fundamental, but that _are_ important to your perception of the
instruments timbre.  Most of this energy would be removed by a bunch of
narrow harmonically spaced BPFs.

Finally, high-Q filters with a narrow bandwidth tend to have a long
settling time in the time-domain.  In other words they tend to smear
"onset" and "off-set" transients in time.  As an example of this
phenomenon if you pass a morse-code message through progressively
narrower and narrower (higher-Q) filters it initially becomes easier to
identify the dots and dashes in the message as any out-of-band
background noise gets removed.  But eventually, when the bandpass filter
becomes very narrow around the morse tone frequency, it ultimately
becomes harder to identify the actual dots and dashes in the message as
they begin to "run into each other".  The ring-up and ring-down times of
a high-Q (narrowband) filter eventually become so long that they
perceptually smear the timing information in the signal.

So if you do pass music through a bunch of chromatically spaced
narrowband BPFs, expect the result to sound pretty devoid of the
original signal's timbre and rhythm!

-Richie,