[sdiy] History of SDIY?

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Wed May 30 17:39:50 CEST 2018

chromatest at azburners.org wrote:
>--===============3547432065552758978==
>
>I have an observation about this list that I'll share. I don't recall
>anybody on this list ever asking for help debugging their software code.
>People are asking all the time for help with debugging their hardware
>though.

I have.  Not debugging basic C code or basic C language questions, but
questions about DSP and how to implement the math.  I'm not sure how what
kind of questions a person asks matters, we have people who've never held
a soldering iron to people that can design entire boards (or programs)
and everything in between.  The kinds of questions asked tend to depend
on the person's experience and education.

>To me, that doesn't mean one doesn't belong here, but rather the knowledge
>required to write and debug software code is far outside of the scope of
>most people on this list. It's a lot more specialized, and a lot harder to
>understand. At least in the basic fundamentals of Synth building.
>
>I can take a cool vco from here, an adsr, another person's filter, etc and
>build a little hardware modular with a little help from this list. I can
>not do the same in software.

I can and do use basic DSP blocks the same way I would use ADSRs, VCAs,
filters etc. to  make a hardware design.

>ie. Take a filter from this softsynth package, take a vco from this other
>package, grab this old adsr from the cool program that ran on my Amiga,
>etc...

Like a VCO might need some rework to make it work on +/- 12v instead of
+/- 15v, I take such code and rework it to fit my design.  I see far more
similarity than I do differences and I find the differences to be trivial.

-- ScottG