[sdiy] History of SDIY?

john slee indigoid at oldcorollas.org
Wed May 30 01:25:19 CEST 2018

Sure, I think outsourcing fab (assembly as well as the actual PCB fab) for
personal use is still DIY. I’ve considered doing it — likely for a basic
utility module — partly because I haven’t tried it before and am curious
about the process, and partly because I don’t have the patience for
hand-soldering SMD passives

The DIY part for me is the PCB layout/assembly. I’m fairly novice-grade at
the actual design/electronics bits (though I’m making progress) but have
successfully laid out PCBs for quite a few of my own modules, mostly CGS.

Originally I was doing my own layouts because I hate wiring even more than
hand-soldering SMD passives... but I discovered along the way that I quite
enjoy the layout thing

Am I a DIYer if...

* I don’t fully understand a circuit that I’ve successfully turned into a
Euro module ?
* I don’t etch+drill my own PCBs?
* I do understand the circuit, modify it to suit my wants, but then
outsource the PCB fab + assembly?

I agree with the poster who hinted that maybe we shouldn’t try so hard to
define things.

John