[sdiy] uLaw DACs in the modern era?

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Thu May 24 12:15:21 CEST 2018

Yes, they apply a gain that increases with time to the analogue sound
when they recorded it to compensate for the natural decaying envelope of
the cymbal sounds.  This approximately flattens out the natural
amplitude variation over the duration of the sound.  The much reduced
dynamic range then makes better use of the limited number of
quantisation levels available at the time (6-bit.)  It essentially makes
sure that even the otherwise quiet tail of the sound is still of
sufficient amplitude to use up most of the quantisation levels and avoid
suffering excessive distortion.  The original envelope is then
re-applied by an analogue VCA when the sound is played back.

I suspect that the resulting dynamics of the sound are not exactly
authentic to the original though.  The hi-hat samples in the TR-909 get
exponential decaying envelopes applied to them upon playback, whereas
the ride and crash cymbals get *linear* envelopes applied to them that
are actually generated from the ROM address counter outputs!  Anyone
who's ever used a 909 will recall how "compressed" the cymbal samples
sound.  I think this is largely due to the replacement of the
instruments' natural envelopes with linear ones!

-Richie,