[sdiy] uLaw DACs in the modern era?

John Ames commodorejohn at gmail.com
Thu May 24 02:17:42 CEST 2018

On 5/23/18, Adam Inglis <21pointy at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> .. and in the case of the first Roland "all-digital” drum machines (TR-707
> circa 1984 onward), wasn’t there a little analogue envelope shaping trick at
> the end of the chain to really give them some extra whack?
Mm, I don't know about the all-digital ones, but I know I've read that
the 909 (which used sampled cymbal sounds) turned up the gain as it
played through the samples so that the quiet tail-off had better
fidelity with its limited sample width. Wouldn't surprise me if they
used a similar trick on the digital ones until (presumably) they went
full 16-bit and it wasn't so much of an issue.