[sdiy] uLaw DACs in the modern era?

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Tue May 22 10:58:05 CEST 2018

I suspect that a lot of the perceived "punch" in the sounds of early
digital drum machines is down to the same sorts of processing applied to
the acoustic drum recordings before sampling that we would apply to
drums these days to obtain a more punchy and "produced" sound.  Namely,
things like dynamic range compression with artistically chosen
attack/release times, gating, dynamic EQ, etc.  Oversights in the
recording process like allowing a fair degree of clipping also make
things sound a lot harder too.  Heavy clipping is not uncommon in the
samples of these early drum machines!

-Richie,