[sdiy] Filter cut off DAC

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Tue May 22 04:56:04 CEST 2018

Prophet 5 Rev 2: 7-bit … not enough (really disappointing steps when turning CUTOFF)
Prophet 5 Rev 3: 16-bit … why not?

Personally, I can’t see designing something in 2018 that’s less capable than something from 1981.

I would avoid 24-bit because the DAC technology for 24-bit converters doesn’t exactly produce a DC output. I believe that all of the 24-bit converters have some amount of processing (and latency) on the samples that go through. Plus, there’s the fact that nobody can make an analog circuit with 144 dB of signal to noise performance anyway.

In contrast, you can get 14-bit and 16-bit DAC chips that are direct conversions without the latency or manipulation of processing.

Brian