[sdiy] Multi-output comb filter?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Mon May 21 06:24:17 CEST 2018

The only process that I’m aware of where substantial work is shared instead of duplicated is the FFT, but you excluded that in your opening statement.

It’s a bit distracting to attempt to think of a comb filter as having “outputs" that are “mixed" together. You’ll get a lot further realizing that a comb filter has only a single input and a single output, where the constructive and destructive interference ends up favoring some frequencies and penalizing others. It’s not like a typical filter where you can control bandwidth or slope; although feedback does allow further enhancement of the peaks and valleys, you can’t really move any part of the total response without moving everything else.

In contrast, a state variable filter does have multiple outputs where you can choose how to mix them together. In some sense, the SVF shares some work because the three outputs depend upon each other to work. Each of the outputs is a combination of the others in a cyclic relationship. Again, you can’t drastically change one without also affecting the others.

Brian