[sdiy] Retrofitting a PS-3100 with an Arduino

ulfur hansson ulfurh at gmail.com
Sun May 20 23:20:51 CEST 2018

hello list!

first post here, - hello!

I recently managed to acquire a PS-3100 in great condition. it is fully
operational, and i've been having a lot of fun tracking with it, it is an
immensely powerful instrument!

i couldn't help myself but open up the back panel right away, and happened
to have a midi controlled "gate" sketch uploaded on my arduino MEGA on my
workdesk(each pin going HIGH on corresponding note ON message received).

looking through the PS-3100 service manual it looks like I need 10V gate
signals to trigger each individual note - i put together a simple single
transistor configuration to expand the arduino logic up to 10v - alligator
clipped a few pins to the inside of the 60pin honda connector... lo and
behold!! I could trigger a few notes on the PS-3100 from Ableton within 45
minutes!

so my question is - rather than purchasing the rather expensive Kenton kit
(i don't need CC messages, for now....) *is there any reason at all *why
installing the Arduino with 48 simple 10V transistor gates could be a bad
idea, or potentially dangerous to the instrument?

it seems like it could be the most minimally invasive procedure available
for these keyboards....

thanks for reading...!

all the best,
-úlfur