[sdiy] I suck at halfband filters and maths...

rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk rburnett at richieburnett.co.uk
Thu May 17 16:45:51 CEST 2018

Is this just a thought exercise or is it required for a particular
application?

This isn't how *I* personally would make a half-band filter.  They are
usually done with FIR filters if the ultimate aim of the game is to drop
the sample rate down (decimation.)

FIR has a number of advantages here over IIR here:  It is inherently
stable (even with coefficient rounding on your low-end micro,) it has
linear phase response, and you don't need to calculate the output
samples that you will be throwing away later in the decimating process.

So if I was designing a half-band filter for a decimator I would design
an FIR using MATLAB, Octave, Remez Exchange (Parks/McClellan), whatever,
to meet the desired in-band ripple, transition-band width, and stop-band
attenuation requirements first.  Then run the input audio through this
FIR filter, only calculating the summations for the output samples that
I actually want to use in the process that follows.

You could do it with an IIR filter, but you would have to cascade quite
a few IIR biquad stages and head towards something like a Chebyshev or
Elliptic overall response to get a nice sharp half-band filter response
though.

-Richie,