[sdiy] samplers & pitch shifting

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Sun May 13 18:20:52 CEST 2018

Hi Tim and list,

I'm no expert, but I know that if you raise the pitch of a band limited sample, you
can still have aliasing unless some technique is used to prevent it.

What I've done is to use fractional samples taken from the original wave and
interpolate.  I've never gone beyond linear interpolation and have not found problems.
 This goes for whether it's pitch down or pitch up (assuming that the band limit is at
a low enough frequency cutoff to prevent alias artifacts.

I can't say anything about the Bode as I've not yet studied it.

Tim Ressel <timr at circuitabbey.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Forgive me if I've asked this before. I can't seem to get my head around
>this. I'm told if you make for example a drum machine that uses samples
>you HAVE to be able to change the pitch. How is this done? The pitch has
>to change but the sample length stays the same. Are we talking about a
>digital version of a Bode pitch shifter?
>
>--
>--Tim Ressel
>Circuit Abbey
>timr at circuitabbey.com