[sdiy] What test gear do you use?

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Fri May 11 23:32:07 CEST 2018

Rigol DS1000Z series vs old 1052E:

It's not just cuter, the bigger screen has a much higher resolution and,
low and behold, can actually display information on that thing ;-) In
fact, a lot of information.
You can also show waveform + FFT at the same time *and* actually
recognize something (as an example)
It also has intensity grading, the DS1xxxZ not as fine a resolution as
the 2000 series, but it's already nice.
(it simulates behavior of the phosphor of analog scopes, in that more
frequently hit  parts of the screen will be brigher, which will bring
funyn behaviors of your signal to your attention which might otherwise
elude you)

You ca also store captured waveforms by points instead of by image, i.e.
much more usable for post processing. I have not really further looked
into whether there are tools meanwhle to read those files other then
direct import in their software, though. Apparently you can communicate
with the scope and ask it for data, not tried out yet. i thik the older
Rigol could partially do this also.

Siglent supposedly also improved the quality of their gear, maybe their
current models is more to your linking, I'd look at the eevblog teardown
threads if they exist for that, though, to get some idea if tghere are
problems, I don't know.
Siglent SDS1104X-E would be the contender to Rigol's DS1104Z, I believe.

Ah, looky there:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/question-rigol-ds1054z-vs-siglent-sds1102x/

The user named "rf-loop" seems to strongly prefer the Siglent, and gives
reasons for it.
But it's (was) also more expensive.

- Steve