[sdiy] What test gear do you use?

Mattias Rickardsson mr at analogue.org
Tue May 8 14:49:54 CEST 2018

 On 6 May 2018 at 23:27, Pete Hartman <pete.hartman at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Tek 2236A bought from a fellow list member a few years ago, but I
> only just recently figured out an arrangement that let me have it at my
> desk.  So far it hasn't gotten a lot of use, though I did have fun with X-Y
> mode (the DSO does a poor job of that) and Ian Fritz's double well chaos
> module.

My Tek 2236 is always on my working desk, acting as a monitor stand. It's
simple but decently powerful for analog audio measurements, and I love the
little counter/multimeter they crammed into it. Nice to avoid having too
many multimeters around cluttering your workspace. I prefer the reasonly
modern analog Tektronix scopes before DSOs any day - and I very rarely need
more.

The good old analog scope, the new RME ADI-2 Pro high-end soundcard, a
Metcal soldering station and a microscope solves 99 % of my testing needs
during analog design work.

On 7 May 2018 at 00:40, Dennis Verschoor <modular at gmail.com> wrote:

> I got a whole studio with just test equipment.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/Waveform-Research-Centre-1157781711025359/?_rdr

Cool, especially if you get them to work for the musicmaking! Do you need
more stuff? :-)

On 7 May 2018 at 00:49, Dave Brown <davebr at modularsynthesis.com> wrote:

> Working at Tektronix and now at the vintageTEK museum does have its
> advantages.

Speaking of museum-level gear, I still need to find a better home to a
collection of over a dozen Tektronix 500 series scopes from the '50s and
'60s, with lots of plugins and other equipment. Preferably in northern
Europe, since they are sitting in storage in Sweden. Most museums
specializing on electronic stuff around here are various radio museums,
which I rarely think are very interesting and they never seem that
interested in electronic measurement equipment. Any tips or recommendations
on where old high-tech Tek best should end up?

/mr