[sdiy] What test gear do you use?

matt holland matt at mattholland.org
Mon May 7 21:23:13 CEST 2018

I did some work at a clients location recently and assumed (incorrectly)
that they would have a scope on hand. I was very happy that $300 and 24
hours later (thanks to Amazon) we were up and running with a Rigol. Used it
on a variety of debugging tasks and have no complaints with the encoders or
user interface. Would I have rather used a scope with four or five digits
in the price? Yes, but it did the job just fine. Also an EE with perhaps
less decades of experience than Brian (hi Brian!).

At home I have the Rigol, an Owon which I like for it's light size and
portability but dislike for its user interface (can't put it into words
exactly, maybe same deal as Brian and Rigol) and a Tek 465 which is sadly
mostly for show. Also splurged on a Fluke 87V several years ago and like
Brian fully expect to be using it for many decades to come even though I
probably went a bit overboard selecting that particular model. Nothing else
too fancy or worth talking about other than an Audio Precision System One
that I still need to get set up and running.

mh