[sdiy] What test gear do you use?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Sun May 6 23:46:38 CEST 2018

I have found the Rigol products to be completely unusable compared to quality ‘scopes. The encoders are useless, for all intents and purposes. There’s a reason these ‘scopes are cheap, and hacking one to a higher base model does not make up for the poor overall design quality.

Before you say you can’t afford a higher quality ‘scope, don’t forget about the used market.

I have a Tektronix 2213A 60 MHz analog ‘scope and a Tektronix 2230 100 MHz DSO that’s actually an analog and digital hybrid. These were $100 to $300 each on the used market. That’s less than a Rigol, and you’ll actually be able to use it. Not only that, but the parts are made to be serviceable for decades to come, and that’s an advantage that Tektronix has over many ‘scope manufacturers. I recently paid a mere $100 to have one of them repaired, and I didn’t even have to mess around with high voltages myself.

I also have cheaper tools like Gadget Factory's Open Logic Sniffer, a 16-channel digital analyzer, and the Bus Pirate. Of course, these cheaper tools are digital, not analog.

I built my own bench power supply with adjustable bipolar outputs from Craig Anderton’s Electronic Projects for Musicians in the early eighties, and it still works today. I use it to power Euro modules. It doesn’t have a fancy digital display, so I just connect a nice Fluke 87 meter, adjust the desired voltages, and then screw the cover on the unit and it is reliable.

Brian