[sdiy] ARP Quadra - Gilbert Cells VCAs?!?

Michael E Caloroso mec.forumreader at gmail.com
Sun May 6 20:58:10 CEST 2018

Last night I was browsing the service manual and was amused to find
that ARP implemented discrete Gilbert Cell Multipliers for the VCAs in
the Quadra.  Usually they're found in bench measurement tools, this is
the first time I have seen them used in a synth.

I can certainly appreciate the decision: with a machine comprising a
string machine, lead synth, bass synth, and poly synth there is a LOT
of potential hot signal passing through those VCAs.

MC