[sdiy] Query about best cap type for '2164 stability network

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 14:18:41 CEST 2018

Hi Tom,

> What type of capacitor would be most suitable for the 500R/560pF stability network on the input of the 2164 VCA? (In practice I mostly use 560R/470pF - easier values to get).

Any small ceramic would do.  It sees almost no voltage across it so
need to worry about voltage effects.

> Instead it's to take interference to ground

Umm...no.  The input pin is actually the summing node of an inverting
op-amp circuit.  The RC circuit forms a lead-lag compensator to
stabilise it.  The values shown in the ADI datasheet are optimised for
a 30k input resistor.

Neil
--
http://www.njohnson.co.uk