[sdiy] 566 Functional Replacement

Tim Parkhurst tim.parkhurst at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 03:12:09 CET 2018

The 566 is tiny and it's easy to think of it as a more compact VCO
solution, but by the time you add external op amps and transistors for expo
conversion, CV summing, output level shifting and other items necessary to
make it play nice in a 1V/O system, it ends up being only marginally
smaller and actually less convenient than a 13700, 3080, or even one of the
new CEM clones. Also, I was able to get 3 or maybe 4 octaves of tracking
from the "Sheboygan" 566-based VCO, but was able to beat that without too
much effort with a 2206, 3080, or 13700 approach. I'd work with the 566
only if I had a bunch sitting around, and needed something that didn't
require a lot of precision (drum voices or drones maybe?).

Tim (Attack of the Drones) Servo