[sdiy] SSI2164

Michael Grossman mgrossm1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 20:27:09 CET 2018

Beyond analyzing the datasheet has anyone done an evaluation of the SSI2164 chip?
Thanks,Mike

    On Wednesday, February 14, 2018 6:15 AM, Mattias Rickardsson <mr at analogue.org> wrote:

 On 14 February 2018 at 00:59, electronicpresskit <electronicpresskit at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 14, 2018, at 12:25 AM, Neil Johnson <neil.johnson71 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I saw their CEO claim this in a NAMM video and the datasheet claims it, but
>> then specs .025% THD which is .005% worse than the ssm2164 and V2164. I also
>> compared a few of the graphs to see if there was a particular context in
>> which it was improved but I did not find one.
>>
>> That has me wondering how it works!
>
> And you believe the ADI datasheet because.....?
>
> See if you can make sense of Figure 6 in the ADI datasheet.

So we’ve got datasheet errors from both manufacturers right?

All tree manufacturers.ADI happened to put a 20-20k axis in their diagram, and Coolaudio just copied all the diagrams including the obvious error... :-)
The reason I asked the question is because I don’t know what to believe.

Understandable. But the THD curves differs a lot from unit to unit, so I wouldn't compare those numbers very much. I'm not even sure how I would choose a number to publish, are there any engineering "rules" for this or is it up to the marketing departments? :-) Anyway, the THD statistics I've seen so far from SSI (not in the datasheet) indicate that most SSI chips are indeed performing better in this regard than most SSM and V chips. So far I have found exactly zero reasons to keep using the Coolaudio part.
/mr