[sdiy] OT: DMM recommendations

Terry Shultz thx1138 at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 7 15:41:44 CET 2018

Hi Neil,

I have a Fluke Model 77 with Rubbery type of shell I use for continuity testing for general purpose work.

I have had it since 1985 and it just keeps on working….

The HP units I have are used for resistor matching / sorting for building my own D/A’s.

I gently bake the 1% resistors and sort them by value after they cool a bit.

I keep them stuck in a piece of styrofoam with the values marked in each row.

I have extra’s sorted in case one opens up. This is how I build my E-Mu era Poly Keyboard circuitboard.

Transistor matching is another project at the moment as I am building a run of VCO and VCF projects.

The copper clips are a pain to make as my fingers are too large to do fine work, I’ll have to enlist my daughter to help out.

I get the copper foil from the stain glass window shop near me. I use a paper cutter to cut the foil into strips.

Hope all is well,

Terry