[sdiy] OT: DMM recommendations

Richard Wentk richard at wentk.com
Wed Mar 7 14:29:22 CET 2018

This.

It’s like buying a Moog 55.

We’d all like one, but unless you’re making a living from it or have a small mountain of cash lying around and you can’t think of anything else to do with it, there’s no rational justification for the price [1], especially considering the opportunity cost of the other things you could spend the same money on.

There’s never been a problem checking mains voltages with my Maplin cheapie. I wouldn’t plug into the local substation, but for the things I use it for it’s absolutely fine.

The price difference between a cheapie and an 87V is enough to buy an entire project’s worth of components, or a boutique synth.

On a value for money basis, I don’t find the extra expense rational or justifiable.

Richard

[1] “It will probably increase in value” may be true, but unless you buy cheap and sell to collectors, even super-expensive synths like CS80s barely keep up with inflation in real terms.