[sdiy] Low Cost Comb Filter Methods

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Tue Jun 12 10:00:42 CEST 2018

On Jun 12, 2018, at 12:02 AM, Gordonjcp <gordonjcp at gjcp.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 09:30:48PM -0700, rsdio at audiobanshee.com wrote:
>> I might be mistaken, but any circuit with only three capacitors and one op-amp should be fairly easy to model in software.
>>
>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> Brian Willoughby
>
> I think we're getting back to the discussion from the other week about
> having a bank of narrow bandpass filters paralleled up, which is not
> really what one would generally think of as a comb filter.

I would tend to agree - at least based on my experience. Wikipedia supports this singular definition.

Yet it still seems interesting that the AES saw fit to publish a paper with this title in June of 1974 from a member of the department of electrical engineering of Ohio University, and they did not add any editorial about the terminology.

Meanwhile, the help I was looking for was commentary on whether a 3-capacitor op-amp circuit would actually be straightforward to simulate / emulate in software. One of these days I’m going to have to learn how to use the Z-transform to convert a circuit diagram into lines of code. Seems like it should require only three words of state memory and a few cycles of math.

Brian