[sdiy] OT? MIDI to RS232 converter box?

Ove Ridé nitro2k01 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 19:48:32 CET 2018

FT232 (and maybe other  USB serial chips as well) can set custom baud
rates. Using this, it should be possible to directly connect to the
synth with a terminal emulator, assuming it can set custom baud rates.
That should completely remove the need for any additional
"intelligence". All you should need is a breakout board containing an
FT232 chip, a couple of resistors, and an optocoupler, which could be
fitted on some protoboard. Beware of fake FT232 chips from eBay,
though. They may not support all the functionality of the genuine
chips.