[sdiy] Pink Tunes self-composing program.

Scott Gravenhorst music.maker at gte.net
Mon Jan 8 22:02:06 CET 2018

I had read somewhere that someone did a 6502 emulation in an FPGA which is another way
to do it.  Probably a downloadable core.  FPGAs weren't very large in those days, so
I'd bet any newer FPGA including one that is Flash based should be able to do it and
then run the binary code as-is with no soft emulation needed.

Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net> wrote:
>Of course, but not necessarily the way I suggested.
>
>Ingo’s point about the indirect addressing is very valid.
>Indirect addressing was one of the PICs weaker suits until fairly
>recently (improved a lot with the enhanced instruction set), and
>it still doesn’t compare to some of the stuff the old 6502 used
>to do. The pre- and post-indexed indirect addressing modes that
>the 6502 had would be hard to pull off in only 4 instructions,
>but you never know...there might be a way.
>
>The “simple” way is to throw some massively overspecced
>machine like a desktop PC at the task and run a full emulator in
>some higher level language running on top of a full OS. The
>number of wasted cycles in such a system required to make a
>multi-GHz multi-core processor act like an ancient eight bit
>wonder going not much faster than digital watch is enough to make
>me scream!! But it’d get the job done...
>
>> On 8 Jan 2018, at 18:43, David Bulog <d2ba at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>>
>> So can Pink Tunes be reborn to run on a modern day OS ?
>>> On 9/01/2018, at 1:28 am, Tom Wiltshire <tom at electricdruid.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I wondered about this. Assuming a 6502 running at 2MHz, if I
>used a modern PIC with an instruction rate at 8MHz, if I could
>write equivalent macros for each of the 6502 instructions in 4
>instructions or less, I could basically compile the old code for
>the new chip. >> >> It’s almost (but not quite) an interesting
>enough challenge to warrant giving it a try. Maybe if I had more
>Sundays in the week. >> >> Tom >> >> ================== >>
>Electric Druid >> Synth & Stompbox DIY >> ================== >>
>80’s assembly code in modern day recreations of classics. we
>came to the conclusion that you would need to source all the
>original hardware for assembly code to be pratically useful :)
><okvern at ix.netcom.com> wrote: >>>> >>>> Colleagues, >>>> >>>> re:
>"John Titor" >>>> >>>> I've never been sure if "John Titor" was
>an internet hoax that the visual novel/anime series "Steins;Gate"
>made reference to, or whether the internet hoax was created as
>part of the marketing program for either work. Probably the
>former, but you never know. >>>> >>>> Either way, not all red
>herrings are created equal.:-) >>>> >>>> Thanks, >>>> >>>> Ole

-- ScottG