[sdiy] Pink Tunes self-composing program.

Tom Wiltshire tom at electricdruid.net
Mon Jan 8 20:55:08 CET 2018

Of course, but not necessarily the way I suggested.

Ingo’s point about the indirect addressing is very valid. Indirect addressing was one of the PICs weaker suits until fairly recently (improved a lot with the enhanced instruction set), and it still doesn’t compare to some of the stuff the old 6502 used to do. The pre- and post-indexed indirect addressing modes that the 6502 had would be hard to pull off in only 4 instructions, but you never know...there might be a way.

The “simple” way is to throw some massively overspecced machine like a desktop PC at the task and run a full emulator in some higher level language running on top of a full OS. The number of wasted cycles in such a system required to make a multi-GHz multi-core processor act like an ancient eight bit wonder going not much faster than digital watch is enough to make me scream!! But it’d get the job done...