[sdiy] 0805 resistors with consistent 3 or 4 digit value markings?

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Mon Jan 8 07:49:23 CET 2018

Although you cannot rely on the Mouser images, as someone else pointed out, I believe that you should be able to rely upon the manufacturer data sheet.

Don’t settle for data sheets from third parties, not even Mouser, and especially not the various generic datasheet web sites. Instead, connect directly to the manufacturer’s web site and download the official, latest data sheet for the specific resistor models that you’re considering.

Near the final pages of the data sheet, around the area where they describe the tape orientations, you should find clear descriptions of the markings for that part. Such things do change over time, but most manufacturers allow you to subscribe to a mailing list for changes to parts, so that you can keep up with the latest data sheet information. These markings are often used for machine reading, so good manufacturers can’t get by with arbitrarily changing or deleting the markings after they’ve documented them.

I’m reasonably confident that if you were to select a component like the Yageo resistors that you already like, confirm the markings in the data sheet, and then only order that specific line of resistors from that manufacturer, then you should be able to rely 100% on the markings that you desire.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting