[sdiy] Expo in one chip?

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 18:16:13 CET 2018

Hi,

Mattias Rickardsson wrote:
> Also, the RC value of the compensation network needs to be changed a little
> bit if you use input resistances far from the typical values, so it might be
> good to have them outside after all.

Indeed.  I asked SSI if they could provide some notes or equations in
the datasheet to use to work out compensator component values for
different input resistors.

> Actually they are a tiny bit noisier (about 1/2 to 1 dB from the data I've
> seen so far) than the V2164, but a tiny bit lower noise (again about 1/2 to
> 1 dB) than the original SSM2164 if you swap them in the same circuit. But
> the reduced distortion can allow for a lower-noise circuit design for a
> given task.

The datasets that SSI have collected show that overall the SSI2164 is
quieter than the SSM2164 in class AB mode, but a little bit noisier in
class A mode, and in both modes with much reduced distortion.  Overall
I think it's an improvement, and it looks like the spread is tighter
for the SSI part (or they chose some really good SSI parts and some
really bad SSM parts...).

Neil
--
http://www.njohnson.co.uk