[sdiy] A different kind of polyphonic aftertouch

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Fri Jan 5 12:37:30 CET 2018

Interesting video, but the image for the sine wave is not a sine wave at all (*); then he says that square waves are used for strings and sawtooth is used for brass. Well, at least the last one is correct.

I always thought of square as being most like a clarinet, pulse as nasal reeds, sawtooth as strings (or brass, too), and triangle as the closest to sine that many common analog synths could do (what harmonics are present in the triangle are very weak compared to square and sawtooth, so they’re more easily filtered out).

* I’d actually like to hear what that wave sounds like that he called a sine wave. I’m sure it’s not the narrator’s fault - someone else probably provided the animated graphic.

Sorry for this diversion from the subject of Poly AT…

Brian