[sdiy] A different kind of polyphonic aftertouch

Richard Wentk richard at wentk.com
Fri Jan 5 11:57:30 CET 2018

Why would these methods be better than a switch?

You’re only ever going to be measuring average travel time between two reference points.

Do you think an SQ-80 had the processor power to do some kind of continuous numerical integration, and even if it did, would that generate a “more accurate” velocity measurement that somehow felt hugely more responsive to a player?

IME the biggest factor affecting playability is the quality of the mechanical action.

E.g the DX7 had possibly the best semi-weighted action ever, with a good-enough mono AT mechanism.

I don’t recall ever thinking it would have been improved with linear sensing. I do recall thinking “This is an exceptionally good action.” (Often followed by “I wish this had Poly AT...”)

The Ensoniqs had a clacky action that was distracting to play. Poly AT was very nice to have, but - unlike the DX7 - the keybed was always in the way.

Nowadays most keybeds are crap. NI’s Kontrol series is bearable, Arturia’s keybeds have joke fake AT that ignores the sensor and simply fades in a simulated AT output with an envelope. Cheaper controllers (M-Audio, etc) are just horrible. The high end weighted Fatars are okay-I-guess, but a long way short of a good piano action.

The most interesting thing to appear for a long time is the Roli Seaboard, which has true poly velocity, poly pressure, and poly position sensing, and is also very playable (although it takes some getting used to.)

Bottom line is no one is bothered about linear sensing. They care how the keys feel under their fingers, and what they can do with them.