[sdiy] SMT PCB design with KiCad: rounded rectangle pads, correct centroid and initial rotation

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Wed Jan 3 16:34:22 CET 2018

On Thu, Jan 04, 2018 at 01:10:49AM +1100, Robin Whittle wrote:

> I used the free version of Library Expert from:
>
>   http://pcblibraries.com
>
> to generate the footprints.  This is quite fiddly, since numeric values
> need to be entered each time for each footprint.  The paid-for version
> avoids this and is much more suitable for anyone doing more than a dozen
> or two footprints.

Since all Kicad's files are plain text, it's often easy enough to knock
up a little tool to tweak libraries, footprints and indeed entire PCBs
to be what you want.

You can even just get in there with a text editor and hit it with a
search-and-replace to change stuff, and have a reasonable expectation of
it working

--
Gordonjcp