[sdiy] OT? MIDI to RS232 converter box?

Gordonjcp gordonjcp at gjcp.net
Mon Jan 22 22:13:08 CET 2018

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 10:30:24AM -0800, MTG wrote:

> Reason: to run an old EPROM monitor in an old synth. The monitor
> utilizes the existing physical layer of 5-pin DIN MIDI, but on the
> host side the monitor is operated via a COM Port Terminal program
> like TeraTerm.

I solved this problem in my implementation of Forth for the Mirage by
using a plain ordinary USB MIDI cable, and writing a terminal that just
talks to a MIDI port.

The only trouble is that USB MIDI expects "fully formed" messages, which
is a bit of a bugger.  So, I used MIDI quarter frame messages to
"encapsulate" the 7-bit ASCII, and adapted KEY and EMIT to handle this.

Now depending on what your EPROM monitor is, it might be easier just to
bodge that into the ROM image and use the software I wrote.  I'm happy
to lend a hand on this ;-)

--
Gordonjcp