[sdiy] 0805 resistors with consistent 3 or 4 digit value markings?

Robin Whittle rw at firstpr.com.au
Sat Jan 6 07:59:17 CET 2018

Does anyone know of a range of 0805 resistors in which all values are
consistently marked numerically with their value?  For instance, for
560R and 120k:

  561  124

would be best.  Alternatively:

  5601  1203

I only need the E12 series: 10, 12, 15, 18, 22, 27, 33, 39, 47, 56, 68,
75 and 82.  1% or 5% is fine.

There's a range of 0805 resistors at element14 manufactured by Yageo
(Phycomp).  For instance the 1% "RC0805FR-07560RL" (9237461).  As best I
understand the datasheet:

   http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/2167052.pdf

these all should be marked with four digits, but the 39k
(RC0805FR-0739KL = 9237828) is simply black.  Likewise the 220k
(RC0805FR-07220KL = 9237917). The 390k (RC0805FR-07390KL = 9237941) is
marked "E06E".

I had a quick look at Mouser, but there were a plethora of resistor
types, some quite expensive and many of which were illustrated as not
being marked.  The illustrations and apparently the data sheets can't be
trusted anyway.

Its bad enough having anonymous ceramic capacitors and diodes (Diodes
Inc at least) with the polarity line only visible with a magnifier.
Vishay 1N4148Ws have a clearly visible laser-marked cathode line.
Ideally all the resistors I use would have relatively large 3 digit
value text.

I bought a Chinese-made book of 0805 resistors and a few capacitors from
eBay a few years ago.  The resistors are all 5% Yageo and are marked
clearly with three digits.  However, the range is more per decade than
E12, and misses out on several of the E12 values.  Looking again at
eBay, I couldn't find any resistor books where the range of values was
specified properly and where resistor marking was also specified.

A book would be good, but an actual range of resistors I can order on
tape in any quantity would be best.

- Robin    Daylesford Victoria Australia