[sdiy] Expo in one chip?

Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 13:15:54 CET 2018

Hi,

Alex Sullivan wrote:
> Apart from the IP release aspect what's behind the sudden resurgence of chip fabricators?  Is it just demand or has the process got cheaper/easier?
>
> Just curious!

I suspect it is a combination of two things:

1/ The resurgence/growth in the analogue synth market.  Behringer
getting involved is a pretty good indicator that the market is
sufficiently large enough that Uli thinks he'll get a worthwhile
return on his investment.  CEM also came out of the closet when the
market reached a point where they felt they could sell enough chips to
make it worth having a wafer sliced and packaged up (I don't know if
they had new wafers made or simply are using old wafers).

2/ The growth in low-cost Chinese fabs targetting the larger/older
geometries.  For example:
https://semiengineering.com/china-fab-boom-or-bust/
This is where companies like SSI and Alfa become possible.  Uli has
his own fabs to supply his own factories, so he can afford to spread
the costs across multiple product familiies (synths, mixing desks,
effecs units, etc).

Neil
--
http://www.njohnson.co.uk