[sdiy] Maplin folds

Jay Vaughan ibisum at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 21:07:10 CET 2018

> In fairness to them, they tried to cater for a changing market, people no longer build things these days, they are content with buying something. Buying things has also gotten a lot cheaper so again, no real surprises, but a shame none the less.
> Paula

It always bugs me that these part-shacks go out of business, but yet the Maker scene is expanding in leaps and bounds.  It seems to me that its just a matter of not having the right/savvy generation in charge of new product and market development in these dinosaurs.

Like, if Radioshack had just tuned into the 3D printer/hackaday/rPi thing a little sooner, it'd have had a pivot point to segue into the Maker scene, which - from my perspective - seems to be positively thriving: The kids are making stuff!  Perhaps the writing was on the wall already, what with all their over-leveraging on cheap crap from China and corporate finance dodginess, but .. maybe there's gonna be a brick-and-mortar retailer rise from all of this that caters to the demands of the maker scene.

Radio Shack used to be *the* doors-open hackerspace in many communities.  I know I learned a shit-ton of things in my youth by camping out in the local RS, booting up the demo TRS-80's, and coding away (same with Computerworld, anyone remember them?)  If they'd had a more community-/DIY/maker oriented open door policy, and actually .. I dunno .. hosted a few events on a regular basis, perhaps they'd have become a more viable force for the scene?  One can dream ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan
ibisum at gmail.com