[sdiy] Maplin folds

blacet at blacet.com blacet at blacet.com
Wed Feb 28 16:11:25 CET 2018

The end of brick and morter. I saw where Amazon is bigger than twenty
of the next biggest stores combined. Handier and more environmental to
just shop ebay or Mouser, Digi-Key, Jameco, All, etc in the US. Latvia
in Europe (ha, ha, AS33xx ics). -------- Original Message ----------
They ran out of credit to buy stock before Christmas, so they were
already in a death spiral late last year. A £15m VAT bill killed them
- which is impressive, considering the company was only worth about
£80m max. The new Maplin had very little in common with the 70s/80s
Maplin. They’d been bounced between various companies with
“Private Equity” and/or “Capital” in the name a few times
since the days of Doug Simmons and the amazing catalogues. The staff
were always great. I had to take a battery charger back a couple of
years ago, and they found the sale in their records from my card
number, and handed over a replacement with no receipt and no fuss. But
the web site was always pretty bad, with poor item search and silly
prices. You could check store stock, but if a local store didn’t
have something there wasn’t any chance of this modern “We’ll
make sure you get it tomorrow” nonsense. RIP R On 28 Feb 2018, at
14:22, Neil Johnson neil.johnson71 at gmail.com wrote: Maplin (UK
electronics store, following the Tandy history) is closing down:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43223175 For those with long
memories this is quite sad, although anyone who had gone into a Maplin
store in more recent times won't be surprised by this news. Neil --
http://www.njohnson.co.uk
Synth-diy at synth-diy.org
Synth-diy at synth-diy.org