[sdiy] Maplin folds

Richard Wentk richard at wentk.com
Wed Feb 28 15:53:44 CET 2018

They ran out of credit to buy stock before Christmas, so they were already in a death spiral late last year. A £15m VAT bill killed them - which is impressive, considering the company was only worth about £80m max.

The new Maplin had very little in common with the 70s/80s Maplin. They’d been bounced between various companies with “Private Equity” and/or “Capital” in the name a few times since the days of Doug Simmons and the amazing catalogues.

The staff were always great. I had to take a battery charger back a couple of years ago, and they found the sale in their records from my card number, and handed over a replacement with no receipt and no fuss.

But the web site was always pretty bad, with poor item search and silly prices. You could check store stock, but if a local store didn’t have something there wasn’t any chance of this modern “We’ll make sure you get it tomorrow” nonsense.

RIP