[sdiy] IR Reverb

Olivier Gillet ol.gillet at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 11:47:22 CET 2018

I would suggest the following path:

1. Implement the algorithm in a high-level language like python or Julia to
make sure you get the outline of the algorithm correct, without getting
bogged down by the details (like data layout for FFT routines, writing for
loops for every vector operation, etc). For an optimized low-latency
(different FFT sizes for the head and tail) convolution, it shouldn't take
more than one tall window of code.

2. Port to C/C++ on a desktop computer, running your reference python
implementation on the side to compare results and troubleshoot. For this
step, I usually prefer writing a command-line program instead of a plug-in.
My favourite debugging method is to output multi-channel .wav files, with
the audio output, and other channels showing whichever variable I need to
trace. Again a matter of personal choice, but I consider any debugging
environment that doesn't allow me to evaluate python/numpy expressions on
the history of a variable useless for DSP development.

3. Port to the hardware platform of your choice. If you target a general
purpose CPU, the same code as in step 2, with just the FFT routines
abstracted away, can usually be used.