[sdiy] Symmetrical Keyboards

sleepy_dog at gmx.de sleepy_dog at gmx.de
Mon Feb 19 12:37:51 CET 2018

Hey all,

In my quest for old keyboards I accidentally stumbled upon this:

http://www.le-nouveau-clavier.fr/english/

Interesting. I have thought about that for a long time, but don't know
too much about music theory as to come up with an own scheme that makes
sense, but alternate coloring to orient oneself on a "not chromatic"
(hah that sounds contradictory) layout keyboard, that much seemed obvious.
So not only I, someone who occasionally plays things by ear and has not
pounded scales into his mind, thought something like this could be a
good idea.
It's actually hundreds of years old.

So one guy mentioned there changed his Kurzweil into a symmetric layout
by ordering a lot of replacement 'D' keys. But how to get the extra
small keys in there, the keybed would not have support for that?

Anyway, at some point I might further investigate this subject.
Maybe a few other people also find this interesting.
(in one youtube thread a self-professed 40-years virtuoso pianist didn't
see the point of alternate keyboards and "scales are no problem, just
practise them". But if you have a mind that sees and strongly dislikes
inefficiencies and obviously unnecessary work, it's really tough! Lol.)

- Steve