[sdiy] Keyboards good for scrap / repurposing?

Roman Sowa modular at go2.pl
Mon Feb 19 09:56:38 CET 2018

That's exactly how keyboard scanning is done in old organ consoles you
all are talking about now. Not in every one, but usually in Ahlborn, one
of the major european organ makers. The HC138 decoder is already mounted
on the PCB with rubber contacts.

I heard from many organ repairmen that rubber contacts fail first,
especially in Fatar keyboards. They literally fall apart. Probably not
an issue for casual mono synth player, but those kind of organs are
heavy banged every day with 10 fingers.

Don't bother looking for old broken toy synths, they all have keys made
so one octave is made of 2 pieces of plastic, one white with 8 keys and
the other one black with 5 keys. And the piece of plastic that holds it
together is also back support and return spring. This is also the case
in entry level Yamaha digital pianos.

Roman