[sdiy] Keyboards good for scrap / repurposing?

Pete Hartman pete.hartman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 00:22:55 CET 2018

On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Eric Brombaugh <ebrombaugh1 at cox.net> wrote:

> I've wondered the same thing - our local Goodwill thrift stores always
> have a bunch of those Rock Band video game keytar controllers for super
> cheap (think under $5). These things:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Wireless-Keyboard-Xbox-360/
> dp/B003RS19N4?th=1
>
> They're 25 keys (2 octaves + 1) with additional buttons and controls on
> the grip and while I know that they're wireless I suspect they don't have a
> switch per key since that game doesn't require note accuracy. Nevertheless,
> I'm curious if they could be retrofitted with an actual key scanner.
>
> I suspect that in the long run it's better to just get a cheap $50 MIDI
> controller than to mess with this, but it's still something to wonder
> about...

I actually rather like these, just as MIDI controllers generally.

They have velocity sensitivity.

They have multiple octaves easily accessible.

And they're really portable.

Plug it into a standard MIDI2CV and you're good to go.

I haven't chopped one (yet) but I have one waiting for its time on the slab
:)