[sdiy] Keyboards good for scrap / repurposing?

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 18 23:26:08 CET 2018

I've wondered the same thing - our local Goodwill thrift stores always
have a bunch of those Rock Band video game keytar controllers for super
cheap (think under $5). These things:

https://www.amazon.com/Rock-Band-Wireless-Keyboard-Xbox-360/dp/B003RS19N4?th=1

They're 25 keys (2 octaves + 1) with additional buttons and controls on
the grip and while I know that they're wireless I suspect they don't
have a switch per key since that game doesn't require note accuracy.
Nevertheless, I'm curious if they could be retrofitted with an actual
key scanner.

I suspect that in the long run it's better to just get a cheap $50 MIDI
controller than to mess with this, but it's still something to wonder
about...

Eric