[sdiy] IR Reverb

rsdio at audiobanshee.com rsdio at audiobanshee.com
Fri Feb 16 22:48:46 CET 2018

You really need a DSP for this, and not a general-purpose CPU like ARM. Even though ARM has a DSP instruction or two, it's a far cry from a total system designed for signal processing. Families like the TMS320 have been evolving for decades - literally 35 years - to optimize this sort of thing. Literally every aspect of the chip has been tweaked to optimize signal processing.

Texas Instruments has cheap demo platforms with audio I/O and the tools come free with those $50 evaluation boards. There are a lot of open-source routines, so if you need FFT in TMS320 assembly then it's there. You can call that from C and keep your overall design simple.

Texas Instruments even has chips that are dual-processor inside - one TMS320 for DSP, plus and ARM for the higher level stuff and maybe even some audio processing. Look for OMAP chips. The C6000 series of DSP would be a good choice because it supports floating point (I've worked with the C5500 series that is fixed point, and that's a lot of tedium but worth it if you want to run off of batteries).

Another good option would be SHARC.

If you choose a non-DSP chip, everything will be less efficient. That either means loss of features or higher temperatures and shorter battery life.

Brian Willoughby
Sound Consulting