[sdiy] IR Reverb

Eric Brombaugh ebrombaugh1 at cox.net
Fri Feb 16 19:11:32 CET 2018

Yes - a brute force requires 100k MACs / sample.

An FFT approach reduces the the total number of multiply / add
operations required to do a convolution due to the optimization of the
"fast" algorithm. FFTs reduce the N^2 operations of a DFT to N*log(N),
so the larger the transform you can get by with, the more advantage
you'll see. The downside is that FFTs introduce a lot of latency, so to
get around this transform-based convolution engines will typically
subdivide the process into a small & fast FIR to handle the early
results, followed by gradually larger and larger FFTs to handle the
later results.

Eric